Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Part 1: #Victory Over #NetFlix in #Santa #Fe


        Before beginning this story, which ends with be3ing able to actually watch #Instant #NetFlix (movies delivered directly to my TV set with no discs involved), I need to warn the reader that two technical terms will be used:  modem and router.
         Both are small, gray towers which sit side by side on my desk.  One, the modem, has more than a half dozen green lights.  Green is good because that indicates that all is well.  The other, the router, has one green light.
         I would like to define what the modem and the router do.  Unfortunately, I cannot. 
         All I know is that they are important for delivering access to the Internet and Instant NetFlix.  For all I know, they may also be broadcasting messages from aliens, irradiating our food or delivering insights that can only be understood by our dog.
         Now that we understand the terms, I will proceed with the story:
         After three years of struggling, after three experts were baffled by the problems, we are now able to watch Instant Netflix on Netflix through our Blu-Ray.
         In years previous, my son-in-law, Mark, who can make robots respond with accuracy and alacrity in the movies and who has, to my knowledge, never been defeated by anything based on computers, gears or wheels, was frustrated by this installation in Santa Fe.  He entered various passwords, changed the position of the router, etc., but could not get a signal from the desk in my office to the living room TV set and Blu-Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment